Pradhan Mantri Matritva Vandana Yojana (PMMVY), How to apply?
Pradhan Mantri Matritva Vandana Yojana (PMMVY): India accounts for around 18% of the world’s total maternal deaths. Women in rural areas are suffering most post their delivery due to lack of financial resources for adequate nutrients in take. And the women working in un-organized sectors will have to be away from their work during the period of post delivery which makes them the life more difficult if no savings are available to finance the daily needs. UPA government in 2010 had launched a scheme titled Indira Gandhi Matritva Sahyog Yojana (IGMSY) which is a maternity benefit program run by the government. And the same was not so popular among the needed sections of the society.
What is Pradhan Mantri Matritva Vandana Yojana (PMMVY)?
Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s NDA government has renamed this scheme as Pradhan Mantri Matritva Vandana Yojana (PMMVY) with few minuscule modifications in its features in the year 2017. The scheme will be implemented across 650 districts. Under this scheme, the government would provide Rs. 6000 financial aid to pregnant and lactating mothers for the first live birth of child.
- To provide the financial aid to the pregnant and lactating women so that their condition of health and well being will be improved.
- To cover the loss of money that they could have gotten by their work. Though the amount is not as much as one need, it would at least help the women in the urgent needs of keeping their health intact during the pregnancy.
This programme is implemented by the Ministry of Women and Child Development, Government of India. Though this has been in existence since 2010, it has not become popular in rural and semi urban localities due to lack of mass advertising by the government.
- The woman should not be employed in the central or state government or in any other part of the public sector.
- Those who receive such benefits under any other scheme similar to this will not be able to get the help that one might want
- All the pregnant and lactating mothers who have their first pregnancy on or after 1 January 2017 can avail this scheme benefits subject to eligibility criteria mentioned in above 2 points
How to apply?
There is no change in the procedure of applying for the scheme. It is as same as it used be in case of the UPA implemented scheme. Depending upon the implementing department for that particular State/UT, One has to register under the PMMVY scheme at the Anganwadi Centre (AWC)/ approved Health centre. The application is free and the same can be either downloaded or taken from Anganwadi centre.
Along with the application forms, documents such as Aadhar card of beneficiary along with that of her husband with written consents and bank account details should be submitted.
Benefits under this scheme:
The benefits under the scheme are available only for the women who have given birth to their first child. Direct benefit transfer mode will be practiced for delivering the benefits. The benefits that are provided will go to the bank account of the applicant the details of which are given during application. The government would pay the amount in installments as mentioned below:
- 1st Installment
The first payment of Rs. 1,000 is made at the time of registration of pregnancy.
- 2nd Installment
Rs 2,000 will be paid if they carry out at least one antenatal check-up after six months of pregnancy. Antenatal check-up is the medical checkups one goes through during the tenure of pregnancy.
- 3rd Installment
The third payment of Rs. 3,000 will be made when the birth is registered and the child is immunized with the 1st cycle of vaccines for BCG, OPV, DPT and hepatitis-B.