Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana – Eligibility, Application Form
Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana – Procedure for Applying Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana . In rural India still there is a larger section of the household using conventional sources of fuel for cooking. Some of them are dried cow dung and firewood. Due to the smoke generated during the cooking the health of the people in these areas is damaged very rapidly. There has been a survey saying “more than 5 lakhs people die each year” as a result of the ill smoke released during cooking.
The scheme is for providing LPG Connections to the women of Below Poverty Line (BPL) households. Under this Scheme, 5 crore LPG connections will be given to BPL households over a period of three years. During the year 2016-17, 1.5 crore LPG connections will be given to the eligible beneficiaries.
The best solution to resolve this problem is replacing the traditional sources of fuel for cooking with safer, clean and efficient alternatives. Liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) can be chosen as best alternative for this. But the cost of LPG is so high that the people living with very meager earning cannot afford.
The government of India has come up with an initiative called “Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana” to enable these poor families living below poverty line use the LPG. Under this scheme govt supplies LPG to the BPL families having woman as beneficiary. Following are the important features of this scheme.
Objectives of Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana:
- Reduce the usage of fossil fuels for cooking, thereby preventing the rural women and their family members from dangerous ill health.
- Controlling the air pollution in household and the environment.
- Helping the rural women to empower themselves
- In long run it will result in deforestation
Eligibility of Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana:
- First of all, the family should belong to “Below poverty line (BPL)” category.
- Only a woman of above 18 years can apply
- She must have a bank account in any nationalized bank. Amount of subsidy from the government is transferred to these accounts directly.
- No other member in the applicant’s family must be an existing LPG subscriber.
Mandatory documents required to apply:
- BPL Ration card of the applicant’s family
- A BPL certificate issued by the Panchayat or Municipality.
- Photo identification of the applicant
- One pass port size photograph of the applicant.
How the beneficiary families are selected?
A woman of a BPL household, who does have LPG connection in her household. Such women member may apply for new LPG connections under Ujjwala Scheme by filling the prescribed KYC application and submitting the same to the nearest distributor. While submitting the application form, the woman will submit Proof of Address, Aadhaar number and Jandhan /Bank Account. (If the Aadhaar number is not available, steps would be taken in coordination with UIDAI for issue of Aadhaar number to the woman of BPL household).
- Central government in consultation with the state governments and union territories will select the beneficiaries. Not all the BPL families can get the benefit under this scheme.
- Among the BPL families based on the economic condition beneficiaries will be prioritized. For example, families belonging to SC/ST would be the first to receive the benefit.
- Among the states based on the existing density of the LPG distribution Central government will allocate the cylinders to be provided to each state. Thus states having lower LPG coverage will be more benefited by this scheme.
How to apply for Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana?
- A woman of the BPL household, may apply for a new LPG connection (in the prescribed format) to the nearest LPG distributor.
- While submitting the application form, the woman needs to submit detailed address, Jandhan Bank Account and Aadhar number of all members of the household.
- The connection will be issued by the Oil Marketing Companies (OMCs) to the eligible beneficiaries after processing the application.
- In case the consumer opts for EMI, the EMI amount will be adjusted against the subsidy amount due to the consumer on each refill.
- Application form to apply for the subsidy is available with all LPG distributors all over the country.
- Those seeking subsidy have to fill the mandatory details in the form and along with the mandatory documents the same has to be submitted to the LPG distributor.
- Following is the Application form. The same can be downloaded here …………………………..
How to know the applicant is eligible under PMUY?
Applicant will Submit the Ujjwala KYC form to the nearest LPG distributor and the LPG field official/Distributor, who will match the application against SECC-2011 database and after ascertaining their BPL status and physical verification of not having LPG connection at their home, distributors will enter the details (Name, Address, Aadhaar, Bank account details and Aadhaar Numbers of Adult members of family etc.) into a dedicated OMC Web portal through a login/password given by OMC’s. OMC will undertake the de-duplication exercise electronically to detect any multiple connections in the house hold or an existing connection with the adult member of household. If no multiple connection is detected the new LPG connection will be released under the scheme to the beneficiary.
- Government will provide the Easy monthly installments for paying off the cost of stove and refill
- An amount of Rs 1600 for each LPG connection will be directly routed to the account of beneficiary
Government has a budgeted amount of Rs 8000 crores to spend under this scheme spreading over the coming 3 years. It was decided to provide the connection to the extent of 5 crore eligible beneficiaries. PM’s initiative to give up the LPG subsidy has got a massive response of over 1 crore connections being given up. The amount saved by this is going to the poor lives of the country.