EPF Universal account number: What is UAN?, How to get UAN No?
EPF Universal account number: What is UAN?, Advantages, How to get UAN Number?, All About on Universal Account Number (UAN) for Provident Fund Before Introduction of UAN every PF member used to spend a lot of time to comply the administrative procedures and rules to transfer his PF from old employer to new employer in the times of switching over to new jobs from existing one. But with introduction of UAN Government (In fact EPFO) has made it easy to do all these formalities. Now check more details for “EPF Universal account number (UAN)”
- Huge labour turnover rate due to increasing short-term contractual employments.
- Universal account number facilitates linking of multiple EPF accounts of a member.
- Aadhaar, Bank Account and PAN are the key KYC documents identified.
- Digitally authenticated KYC would facilitate clubbing of all previous PF account numbers.
- Universal account number is lifelong account number.
- Aadhaar enabled Universal account number will eventually enable members to access EPF services directly.
What is UAN?
UAN stands for Universal Account Number. The UAN will act as an umbrella for the multiple Member Ids allotted to an individual by different establishments. The idea is to link multiple Member Identification Numbers (Member Id) allotted to a single member under single Universal Account Number. This will help the member to view details of all the Member Identification Numbers (Member Id) linked to it. If a member is already allotted Universal Account Number then he / she is required to provide the same on joining new establishment to enable the employer to in-turn mark the new allotted Member Identification Number (Member Id) to the already allotted Universal Identification Number.
Universal account number is a portable number allotted to each member of Provident fund which gives them control of their EPF account so as to enable them to avail the facilities like, checking the employee provident fund balance, receive monthly credit updates/alerts and even transfer funds from old accounts to existing account etc.,
UAN is a unique 12 digit number which will remain associated with an employee throughout his career. As said above, it is completely portable which enables them to use anywhere in India for any employer he works. Whenever a person switch over to another company then his new PF account will be integrated to this number.
- No need to spend much time for EPF Transfer and EPF Withdrawal
- EPF transfer and EPF claims can be directly submitted to EPFO online. So no need to depend on the employer for all these kinds of things.
- It acts as an umbrella for all the PF accounts of a PF member throughout his career.
- Getting SMS alerts from EPFO will make the members updated on timely basis.
- KYC details can be uploaded online to EPFO. Hence no need to visit the EPFO office.
Must Read – Public Provident Fund (PPF)
How to get UAN?
Contact your employer to obtain your UAN. Your Universal account number is readily available with employer.
- The EPFO allots the employers the universal numbers of their employees.
- Then employer would allot the number to its employees. Employees need to provide their KYC (know-your-customer) details to the Employer. KYC includes:
- Proof of Identification
- Proof of Address
- Bank account details.
- Employer will verify the KYC details of the employees and have to digitally upload the details of KYC to the website of EPFO.
- Once this procedure gets done then the Employees PF IDs will be linked to the UAN allotted.
- Next Employee has to activate UAN based Registration By logging on to the website https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface// .where he needs to fill the details like UAN, mobile number and member ID. An OTP will be sent to your mobile number which in turn you have to enter in the specified field in the website. After completion of all these one needs to fill the name of father or spouse, date of birth and create a password.
- Thus by the above procedure once ypu register with UAN member portal you can avail all the facilities as mentioned above in the advantages.
- Helpline number is 1800-118-005.
Following documents can be used for KYC:-
- National Population Register
- Permanent Account Number
- Bank Account Number
- Driving License
- Election Card
- Ration Card
Must Read – Interest Rate of NSC, PPF, KYP, SSY, SCSS
This may bring a change in the attitude of the PF members so that they can fully utilize the intended benefits of the EPF. Earlier due to the complex procedure involved in transferring the PF funds from one account to another account PF members used to withdraw the amount of balance in their account instead of transfer. This would result in reduced amount of pension at the times of retirement. But now this may be avoided as there will be no complex procedures involved in transfer of PF.